How CROWDFUNDx Works
Investors and the crowd collaborate
and vote online to identify 10 top
The top 10 companies pitch
investors and the community live
for investment and prizes
Winners featured for investment
or crowdfunding back to
the community online
CROWDFUNDxWomen is open to women-owned startups who are leading high growth & technology driven businesses.
CROWDFUNDxWomen provides a unique avenue for women-led ventures to gain visibility among top thought leaders, unlock access to capital, and provide exposure to potential future investors and funds on Crowdfunder. Supporting sponsors, partners and board members have joined in providing an investment prize, connections to top angels and funds, and valuable insight into ways to expand your business. CROWDFUNDxWomen will also host a panel discussion with top thought leaders, investors, and entrepreneurs.
Companies must enter the online contest before midnight PT on Friday, November 22, 2013. Finalists will be announced on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 and will present on Friday, December 6, 2013 in front of a panel of expert judges and investors at Singularity University in the NASA Ames Research Center on December 6th at 2:00 PM.
How it works:
STEP 1) Create your personal and your company profiles on Crowdfunder.
STEP 2) Submit your company by clicking the SUBMIT button above to be enrolled into the CROWDFUNDxWomen contest.
STEP 3) Build votes and a community of followers to get on the leader board to get your company more exposure with judges.
STEP 4) Finalists are selected by Crowdfunder and announced November 27, 2013.
STEP 5) Finalists compete at the live presentation event December 6, 2013 at Singularity University.
Grand Prize Winner:
- A featured raise on Crowdfunder with over 1000 accredited investors & funds
- Free legal services from Cooley
Important Dates (subject to change)
- October 10th: Contest Submission Opens, companies rally votes and support
- November 22nd: Contest Submission Closes
- November 27th: Finalists Announced
- December 6th: CROWDFUNDxWomen Live Presentation Finale & Conference at Singularity University
- Your personal and company profiles must be complete with pitch deck (video is optional, but highly recommended)
- Company must have a demonstrable product or service (past the idea phase)
- Non-profits are not eligible
- Company must be a technology start-up having raised less than $1.5 million to date
- Companies must have at least one woman with at least an 8% ownership stake in the company
Finalist Selection Criteria
The finalists will be selected by a combination of the online crowd, advisory board and judges (see the list of judges below) voting. Singularity University is not involved in selection of the finalists or the winners. Selection criteria includes:
- Company's Crowdfunder presence: the company profile must be robust to indicate that the company has the resources and the competence to drive a successful business. See how to create a robust Company Profile.
- The strength of your team: People are key. Companies should add their team members, existing advisors and investors (if any) to their company profile. This will allow the selection committee to assess the team's experience & track record.
- Clear value proposition: A great video and pitch deck are some of the best ways to express a business' value proposition to demonstrate a path to profitability or business growth. On your company profile, share metrics that demonstrate the impact your company is making, how fast it is growing, your community's engagement and support, and your potential.
Please note: Public voting is taken into consideration by the judges but does not always lead to being selected for the final pitch event. How many people you can get to support you is important but the viability of your company as a potential investment opportunity is the most important criteria for selection.
CROWDFUNDxWomen is a presentation event for for-profit companies only. All company submissions will undergo an eligibility review by our team. Whether a company qualifies is at the sole discretion of Crowdfunder.
The companies chosen to present at the live event ("Live Presenters") will be comprised of the companies selected by our judges, individuals, institutions, or other qualified individuals ("Judges"). A set number of finalists will be invited to present their transformative idea to a community of investors and connectors that were invited because they are interested in funding and raising the profile of women owned businesses.
All Live Presenters must be able to appear in person for the live event. If a company selected is not able to appear in person, then that company will forfeit its spot in the live event and any associated prizes, and an alternate company will be invited.
The rules, terms and conditions stated herein (collectively, the "Agreement" or "Rules") constitute a legal agreement between you ("You") and Crowdfunder Investment Network, LLC ("Crowdfunder.com" or "Crowdfunder"). The CROWDFUNDxWomen Board and Crowdfunder reserve the right to change the terms of these Rules at any time for any reason.
Prizes, Eligibility, Participation and Entry
Prizes. The winner of the CROWDFUNDxWomen will be selected for a prize(s) as listed on or in the CROWDFUNDxWomen materials. Any and all selected companies are responsible for any and all taxes associated with any prize. The Live Presenters may, at the sole discretion of CROWDFUNDxWomen, receive other non-cash prizes or opportunities. Should other non-cash prizes be available, Crowdfunder makes no representation or warranties surrounding the prizes. By entering CROWDFUNDxWomen, you understand that Crowdfunder has no control over any prize and cannot promise the delivery of such prize. CROWDFUNDxWomen's local representatives are responsible for any and all prizes promised.
CROWDFUNDxWomen is not an event for soliciting investment, and Crowdfunder is not a registered broker-dealer. Crowdfunder does not offer investment advice, advise on the raising of capital through securities offerings, receive compensation in connection with the purchase or sale of securities, or recommend or otherwise suggest that any investor make an investment in a particular company, or that any company offer securities to a particular investor. Crowdfunder takes no part in the negotiation or execution of transactions for the purchase or sale of securities. Crowdfunder does not control or endorse messages or investors and disclaims any responsibility with regard thereto. Crowdfunder has no obligation to review, monitor, or maintain any materials or messaging on its platform or related to CROWDFUNDxWomen. CROWDFUNDxWomen is not intended to be a forum for the offering or sale of securities.
Eligibility: Eligibility to participate in CROWDFUNDxWomen is limited to companies that have received less than $1,500,000 in outside equity investment as of the date a company submits its profile to Crowdfunder.com for approval. CROWDFUNDxWomen eligibility, eligibility to become a live presenter, and eligibility to be a winner is contingent your (i) your filling out a robust Company, team, and user profile on Crowdfunder.com and entering CROWDFUNDxWomen.(ii) your ability to attend the live presentation event in person, (iii) your willingness to have a background check performed on you and your co-founders, (iv) your willingness to supply Crowdfunder.com and/or Capital Partners with such other information as they may reasonably request, and (v) your business may not be one that falls into an industry that is not supported by Crowdfunder as Crowdfunder may determine in its sole discretion.
Participation: Once you have created a full company profile on Crowdfunder.com, submitted the profile for approval and have been approved, then you may opt in to join CROWDFUNDxWomen. If you join CROWDFUNDxWomen then all companies and campaigns associated with your user profile shall automatically become part of the community.
Crowdsourced Support: Our users will be able to review your Profile and follow or support companies. Supporters will be displayed on your Profile page. Judges may factor in a company's support when selecting the Live Presenters. Please note that gaining the most support will not automatically earn a company a spot in the finals, nor will the existence or nonexistence of support necessarily impact the challenge results in any way.
Presentation at Live Event: The Live Presenters will be comprised of companies selected by some or all of the Judges. These companies will be invited to present during the live event held by the CROWDFUNDxWomen Boards. All Live Presenters must be able to appear in person at the designated location of the CROWDFUNDxWomen live event, at their own expense, for the live event. If a company selected is not able to appear in person, then that company will forfeit its spot in the live event and any associated prizes, and an alternative company will be invited. CROWDFUNDxWomen is not intended to be a forum for the offering or sale of securities. Any Live Presenter that attempts to engage in any type of solicitation will be immediately disqualified and solely responsible for any state or federal action that results from such action.
Registration to CROWDFUNDxWomen: You must also be able to showcase a product or service. Presentations that are still at the "concept" or "idea" stage will not be considered. Registration for the Crowdfunder.com Beta and CROWDFUNDxWomen is free.
Travel: Travel arrangements and accommodations will not be provided by Crowdfunder.com.
- October 10th: CROWDFUNDxWomen official launch
- October 10th to November 20th: Online registration. Companies attract support and Followers from the crowd. Create and submit your company to Crowdfunder.com and join CROWDFUNDxWomen. Use our messaging and social marketing tools to gain support for your company. The Judges may take your company's network into consideration, among various factors, in the CROWDFUNDxWomen event.
- November 22nd: CROWDFUNDxWomen registration will close at 11:59 pm GMT
- November 27th: Finalist companies Live presenters for CROWDFUNDxWomen will be announced. A full list of Live Presenters will be available on www.crowdfunder.com.
- December 6th: CROWDFUNDxWomen Live Event at Singularity University
Company Profile Check List (some items optional)
- Video. Your video must be hosted on YouTube. Simply paste your YouTube video url in the appropriate field.
- Company Logo. Formats supported: JPG, PNG, GIF / Max. file size: 3MB Dimensions: 278px X 198px
- Main Image. Formats supported: JPG, PNG, GIF / Max file size: 6MB Dimensions: 630px X 380px
- Tagline. 60 characters max
- Elevator Pitch. 200 characters max
- Pitch. Your pitch should address and applicable questions listed here:
- What exactly does your company do?
- How and why did you start your company?
- What are you doing that sets your company apart?
- What does success look like and how do you plan to scale?
- 500 characters max per section
- Presentation. You will be able to automatically import your presentation by uploading your deck to Slideshare.net and then pasting your SlideShare deck URL into your Crowdfunder Profile.
- Team Members & Advisors. Your team members & advisors will need to create their own user profiles on Crowdfunder.com so that you can add them to your Company Profile using their email addresses.
- Link to your Social Networks
Your documents cannot include any mention of investment or funding. You will be asked to remove them and your account will be removed if you do not comply or maintain investment language on your Company profile.
Live Event Judging Criteria:
During the Live Presentation, the Judges will consider many factors which include, but are not limited to whether the company has clearly communicated its mission and viability as a growth enterprise; the capital efficiency of the business model is going forward; the quality and engagement of the management team; the manner in which the company has woven a strategy into the company and the ability to scale effectively; how the company consistently measures and responds to those measurements to ensure growth ; a clear market and customer, their size and growth potential, and the ability to reach them; the company's progress to date relative to the resources expended; the competitive landscape and their points of differentiation; website support; presentation skills, and other factors.
The companies selected are at the sole discretion of the Judges.
Questions/Comments: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Crowdfunder or the CROWDFUNDxWomen Board reserves the right to make decisions, including disqualification, regarding any entrant at any point during or in the weeks following after the challenge, if a rules violation has happened, or if the CROWDFUNDxWomen Board or Crowdfunder determine that your team does not fit within the requirements for the challenge. Determinations are at the sole discretion of Crowdfunder.com and/or its Judges, and all decisions are final. Crowdfunder.com assumes no responsibility for lost, late, or incomplete profile submissions or entries. Anyone who attempts to enter with multiple email addresses under multiple identities or uses any device or artifice to register multiple times, or anyone who encourages others to do the same, will be disqualified and forfeit any prize won. Crowdfunder.com, in its sole discretion, may remove a profile and its associated vote if a profile is created with an IP address already registered with a previous account. Multiple votes from one IP address will not be counted. Current employees, associates and advisors of Crowdfunder, CROWDFUNDxWomen Board, CROWDFUNDxWomen associates, Sponsors and any Judges cannot compete in CROWDFUNDxWomen or vote online for startups.
Confidentiality. Neither Crowdfunder.com nor CROWDFUNDxWomen organizers and Board can guarantee confidentiality in any way. Do not include confidential material in your submissions as they may be available for review by visitors to the Crowdfunder site. Do not include solicitation for investment in your materials. Any such materials may result in your company being removed from the site and CROWDFUNDxWomen.
If you are planning to file patent protection on an aspect of your business, you should realize that entry into this competition may be construed as a public disclosure. You should consult with an attorney before entering.
Live presenters will be required to submit a brief statement of their idea to be used for public relations purposes. The content may be as general or specific as a company desires, but it should be considered public knowledge and will be a required part of participating in the competition. Live presenters may be required to participate in filming and will execute the associated releases.